Thursday, August 12, 2010

Alma...De Mi Vida


I love Red Hook. Since moving to New York, Red Hook has been the only neighborhood in the five boroughs that has allowed me to feel a sense of escape, as if I wasn't in New York and instead in a nautical  industrial oasis. Along with its amazing views, relaxed vibe, and endearing shops, Red Hook is the home to Alma.


Though officially situated in Carroll Gardens, Alma and its surroundings are more Red Hook in so many ways and, more importantly, to me. Up until a few short months ago, I had known the area in and around the Columbia Street Waterfront District to be Red Hook. Then, a close friend of mine moved to an apartment in Carroll Gardens not far from Alma and, long story short, the true identity of Alma's neighborhood came to light. Alas, these are just minor details, as the true purpose for this post is talk about fish tacos...Alma's fish tacos.  


Or is it? See, everyone and their mom knows about Alma, not necessarily for its food but for its amazing rooftop views of Lower Manhattan. They are arguably some of the best views of the city - see for yourself.


On my most recent visit to Alma, I again made my way up to the rooftop with the hope of getting some fish tacos in my belly. I've had their fish tacos before, but a post never resulted. This time, Tickle was focused and would not let up. I ordered their fish tacos and, while they prepared them for me, I sank into a refreshing and summery white wine sangria and enjoyed the view as the sun set - ah, summer! In little time, three beauties were placed before me.

The fish tacos were lightly fried to dramatic perfection. I did not ask the server what type of fish Alma uses, but I would guess that it is mahi mahi. The fish taquitos came dressed with a lovely sweet Asian-influenced jalapeño marmalade, pickled red onions, and red cabbage. The tortillas were warmed to a very slight crisp. My first bite was memorable not only for its taste, but for its amazing crunch. Seriously, I think the whole rooftop heard me bite into these babies. My enticement blossomed and, oh man, Tickle was on cloud nine! Alma exhausted all measures to make an amazing fish taco. They key to this faich taco was the jalapeño marmalade, as it was sweet and tart, and complemented the fried fish in a way that I had yet to experience. This was a true winning experience for Tickle.


Tickle gives Alma 4 out of a possible 5 tickles.



My fish tacos (apologies for the poor lighting)

Rooftop shot

Corner of Columbia and Degraw

Waterfront behind Fairway

Pier 44 Waterfront Garden

Red Hook, back in the day

No comments:

Post a Comment